2011年12月29日木曜日

長島さんレポート20111228

Dear Friends 28 December

I recieved a card from one of my old coworkers.
He is the person whom I wrote about in "From Sendai 11".

Fortunately his wife, child and mother were pulled away from the helicopter after the tsunami swept his house away.
But he lost his mother-in-law, sister-in-law with her husband and many friends.
He bought a used house to start his new life.

I was surprised by the handwriting he wrote on the card.
It was like that children write.
The next day one of my coworkers told me the truth.
My old coworker suffered cerebral infarction two months before.
The only thing that I can do is praying for him.

*****************************************************************

Today I took a year-end holiday and visited Arahama district, Sendai city.
I remember the news which told that hundreds of bodies were found in Arahama district.
It was the first news about the victims we got from the radio.
It was difficult to believe it for us.
Arahama town is the coastal town facing the Pacific Ocean.
My wife's grandmother was born and brought up in here.
One of the relatives was sacrificed.

I saw a little rabble on the rice field.
And I saw a few destroyed houses still left standing.
A lot of the people in the cars were sacrificed on the street running parallel to the coastline.
I experienced a sense of fear today.
If the earthquake occured now, I must die here.
I took some pictures from the Yuriage bridge.
It connects the Arahama district, Sendai city to the Yuriage district , Natori city.
Yuriage town was one of the towns which had terrible damages.
I found the loudspeaker on the top of a tower.
Fortunately I didn't hear the siren from it today.
I returned from the bridge soon.
Because I felt it's too difficult to go over the bridge today.

Arahama district, Sendai city

20111228Arahama district, Sendai city

fromsendai

God bless you!
Shinji Nagashima